explaining the legal bases we rely on
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent.
For example, when you tick a box to receive email newsletters.
When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, if you order an item from us for home delivery, we’ll collect your address details to deliver your purchase, and pass them to our courier.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting Montague Ede to law enforcement.
when do we collect your personal data?
· When you visit montagueede.com, and use your account to buy products online.
· When you make an online purchase and check out as a guest (in which case we just collect transaction based data).
· When you create an account with us.
· When you purchase a product or service in the shop or by phone but don’t have (or don’t use) an account.
· When you engage with us on social media.
· When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints, etc.
· When you comment on or review our products and services. Any individual may access personal data related to them, including opinions.
· When you fill in any forms.
what sort of personal data do we collect?
· Contact information including email address.
· Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests.
how and why we use your personal data?
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
· Internal record keeping.
· We may use the information to improve our products and services.
· We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
how we protect your personal data.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
how long will we keep your personal data?
Any data that is collected or processed is held up to 6 years and / or updated to reflect customers' needs.
who do we share your personal data with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties.
For example, delivery couriers.
Here’s the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
· We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
· They may only use your data for the exact purposed we specify in our contract with them.
· We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
· If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either by deleted or rendered anonymous.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
· IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
· Operational companies such as delivery couriers.
· Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic communications with you.
what are your rights over your personal data?
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us at [email protected] If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
how can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
· Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes.
· If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at [email protected]